In February of 1825, Five Commissioners appointed by legislature discussed several sites and potential of each to become the seat of the newly formed Edmonson County. A spot of land consisting of 100 acres located on the Green River at Point Pleasant was chosen as the county seat. The land at Point Pleasant was owned by Joseph R. Underwood, a young Bowling Green lawyer, and Stephen F. Logan of Glasgow who was to become a law partner of Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, IL. The land was called Brownsville in honor of the revolutionary war hero, General Jacob Brown. Brownsville was incorporated by the 1st Session of the 36th General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky on January 30, 1828.
Today, Brownsville is a midway point between Mammoth Cave National Park and Nolin Lake. Outdoor recreation in the most popular activity for this community and their guests. Visitors enjoy recreation on the waters of the Green and Nolin Rivers and the Nolin Lake. There is a friendly small town atmosphere that welcomes all.