Warsaw, the seat of Gallatin County, is located on the Ohio River. The area was settled around 1800 and was first known as Ohio River Landing. The town was established as Fredericksburg in 1814, named for Adolphus Frederick, a local boat builder. It was renamed Warsaw in 1831 to avoid confusion with the Washington county town of Fredericktown. The name Warsaw came from Thaddeus of Warsaw by Jane Porter. Warsaw became the county seat in 1838 when Carroll County was formed from Gallatin County. Warsaw has a thriving small business community which works in harmony with heavy industry on the outskirts of town. Warsaw is also the home to many historical sights.