The Pinnacle Knob Fire Tower was constructed in 1937 by the U.S. Forest Service. The tower was manned by several different men over the years. The “fire watchers” would live in the cabin on top of the tower during the fire seasons. By the mid 1960’s the Pinnacle Knob Tower was abandoned. Most towers throughout the U.S. were replaced by aerial observation. Over the next 30 years the tower’s cabin fell into disrepair. During the spring and summer of 2008, work began on restoring the cabin. The park’s goal is to recreate the interior of the cabin to represent the early days of fire detection. The tower will be open from 10am to 3pm and a park staff person will be on hand to explain the role of the fire watcher. The hike to the tower is about a mile round trip and is strenuous in sections.