In 1887 Bishop Dudley purchased an acre of land, and in 1884 it was mortgaged to the American Church Building Fund to build a new stone church. The cornerstone was laid in 1896; local carpenter and stonemason, Richard Nathaniel Lyons, Sr., completed the new church. On November 15, 1903, the Bishop consecrated it as St. Thomas, Beattyville. St. Thomas continues today to serve the people of Beattyville and Lee County with worship and community activities. Its membership contains several descendants the early St. Thomas Church. The Kentucky Heritage Commission recommended St. Thomas's nomination to the National Register of Historic Places under the auspices of the National Park Service, U.S. Department of Interior, on June 30, 1974. Governor Ford designated it a Kentucky Historical Landmark.