Isaac West built the first brick house in Wayne County in 1800. General Felix Zollicoffer used it as his headquarters before the Battle of Mill Springs on January 19th, 1863. After the battle, it was used as a hospital for many of the wounded soldiers. Allen R. West buried over a dozen soldiers in the family cemetery on the West farm. The house is now known as the West-Metcalfe House. A few days before the battle of Mill Springs, General Zollicoffer moved his headquarters to what is now known as the Brown-Lanier House. General Zollicoffer died in the battle. The site is on the National Historical Register and is currently being restored.