Burlington, the county seat of Boone County , is located on KY 18 and KY 338. Originally named Craigs Camp, the town was built on seventy-four acres of land donated by John H. Craig and Robert Johnson in 1799. In 1800 the site was renamed Wilmington, and in 1816 (some sources claim 1806) the name was changed to Burlington. The first Boone County courthouse, a log structure, was constructed in Burlington about 1800. Another building, made of brick, was erected in 1817. The third courthouse was built in 1889 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as part of a historic district. Burlington is the site of the Dinsmore Homestead.