Now the name of the administrative and information headquarters for Land Between the Lakes recreational area, Golden Pond was once a Trigg County town synonymous with moonshine whiskey. The community was located between the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers from 1848, at least, to 1969. Supposedly, it was named for a pond that looked like molten gold in the afternoon sun. In the early 1900s, especially during prohibition, Golden Pond was known nationally for high-quality moonshine. The town was removed in 1969 to make room for Land Between the Lakes development.