Francis M. Stafford House
The historic Francis M. Stafford House was added to the National Register of Historic Places not only for its architecture, but for its importance in the founding and development of Paintsville. In 1843, John Stafford, the original owner of the house, helped establish the city of Paintsville. Then in the 1930’s, the Stafford family sold most of their 1,000 acre farm to the city, doubling it in size.
The rear part of the home was built circa 1843, while the front part was built circa 1888, making it the oldest house in Johnson County. Although the home was originally built for John Stafford, it was named for his son who accumulated his father’s property after he died in 1869. Francis Stafford also built the main part of the house.
At one time, the Stafford farm included several other buildings, among which were a smokehouse, a store house, a coal house, several barns, a corn crib and a grist mill, which was located below the home on Paint Creek.
In 1861 a holly tree was planted in front of the house and it still stands today.
In April 2010, a resident from nearby Floyd County purchased the home. After two years of renovations, the Stafford House opened for tours in October 2012.
In 2015, the Paintsville Tourism Commission purchased the house and continues to renovate the house and open it for tours and private events.