Boone Tavern Spoon Bread
As per tradition, every lunch and dinner at the Boone Tavern in Berea starts with a serving of this famous spoon bread. For some diners, the creamy, pudding-like dish is the standout of the meal – and that’s really saying something, as the Boone Tavern is one of the finest dining destinations in Kentucky. If you don’t have the chance to taste it in person (or even if you do), be sure to try this recipe at home.
- 1 1/4 cup white cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- Stir meal into rapidly boiling milk. Cook until very thick, stirring constantly, to prevent boiling.
- Remove from fire and allow to cool. The mixture will be cold and very stiff.
- Add well beaten egg, salt, baking powder and melted butter. Beat with mixer 15 minutes.
- Pour into well-greased casserole. Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
Kentucky Hospitality: A 200-Year Tradition
View More Kentucky Recipes