Henry Bain's Sauce
A special treat for the uninitiated is Henry Bain's Sauce. Invented by a waiter working at the historic Pendennis Club in Louisville, this sauce has become famous for its sweet and spicy flair. Ingredients include chutney, ketchup, chili sauce, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. It’s OK to fall in love with it, because you can now buy bottles of it at the club (or make this authentic version at home).
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle steak sauce (such as A1®)
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle tomato-based chili sauce (such as Heinz®)
- 1 (14 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1 (17 ounce) jar Major Grey chutney
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste
- 4 1/2 ounces pickled walnuts (optional)
Mix all in blender and serve with meat, over cream cheese with crackers, etc.
Original recipe makes 4 pints.
View More Kentucky Recipes