Maysville Historic Transparent Pie
The origin of transparent pie is difficult to pin down, but it likely dates to the 1800s, when home cooks in small farm kitchens in the Northern Kentucky River Region had to be creative with the ingredients they had on hand: eggs, sugar, butter, cream and a bit of flour. Magee’s Bakery in Maysville popularized the pie in the 1930s, and it has gained many loyal fans over the years – including actor (and Kentucky native) George Clooney, who has been known to share slices of transparent pie on movie sets.
- 1 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked (9-inch) pie shell
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add cream, and mix well. Beat in eggs. Stir in flour and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Yields 8 servings.
Recipe provided by:
Pride of Kentucky
Best of the Best from Kentucky Cookbook