Benedictine is traditionally a simple blend of cucumbers, cream cheese and seasoning – often served on mini-sandwiches – but Chef Ouita Michel adds a splash of hot sauce to this original recipe used at her Holly Hill Inn.
- 1½ lbs. cream cheese
- 4 large cucumbers, or 6 small
- 1 tsp. onion juice, or more to taste
- 1 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 3-4 dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce
- Soften cream cheese to room temperature. Peel the cucumbers, leaving a little bit of skin on for color. Puree them in a food processor and squeeze as dry as possible in cheese cloth. (The cucumber juice is delicious in a Bloody Mary or chilled with a splash of lemon and vodka.)
- To make the onion juice, grate ¼ of a peeled onion on a cheese grater and squeeze the juice out with a cheese cloth.
- Combine all ingredients together and adjust seasoning, to taste.
Recipe provided by:
Chef Ouita Michel/Ouita Michel Family Restaurants (Lexington-Midway-Versailles, KY)