Northern Kentucky Goetta
Goetta is definitely a “Northern Kentucky thing” and Chef Molly Costello loves this simple recipe inspired by Glier’s, the region’s granddaddy goetta maker. This hearty spiced sausage is popular at breakfast, but also pretty beloved anytime of day.
Watch How It's Made
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups steel-cut oats
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- In a large pot, boil water and then add oats, salt and pepper, simmering for 2 hours.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 more hour.
- Discard bay leaves and pour mixture into 2 greased meatloaf pans and cool overnight to set up.
- Slice into ¾-inch slices and sear on a griddle or cast iron skillet on both sides. Enjoy!
Recipe provided by:
Chef Molly Costello, Otto's (Covington, KY)